Adult trikes, especially an electric trike, are having a moment and we are here for it. Anything that can get people active and engaging in active transportation is a huge win.
Two years ago, Tiffany Robinson decided to buy her first trike. She came to bicycles later in life and never really learned to ride the two-wheeled variety, so she was more comfortable on three wheels. This particular purchase has made a huge impact on her life. And, she’s not the only one.
“I looked at getting a two-wheeler but realized I’m really not comfortable balancing on a two-wheeler, particularly when taking off at a traffic light in an on-road situation,” said Robinson, from Auckland, New Zealand. “So rather than waiting till I was comfortable, I went for the e-trike. Zero barrier to entry for me when it came to riding on-road.
All about trikes
An adult trike is a three-wheeled, pedal-driven vehicle that is designed primarily for adults who come to cycling later in life, or have issues that make two wheels a less than ideal choice such as those that have problems with balance. But, trikes have a lot of love to offer no matter who is riding. So don’t be shy. They are everywhere right now. And no wonder. It is an ideal choice for people who want to get around in a fun and efficient way without having to rely on traditional modes of transportation such as cars or buses.
And, as Robinson says, she likes the swag as well.
“I’ve never had a bike that I loved so much. She’s got a name, an Instagram, and name recognition at the bike locker at work,” says Robinson, who works on the sustainable mobility team at Auckland Transport as a senior active modes specialist managing the Regional Walking Programme. “I’m used to walking or taking PT but now I’m known around town as the girl with the e-trike.”
Investing in an adult trike can provide a number of benefits, including improved physical and mental health, convenience, cost savings, and the ability to reduce your carbon footprint.
Top 5 Adult Trikes on the market right now
1. RadPower e-trike, $2,499: This bike has just been released and looks amazing with 55+ miles per charge, a 750w motor, and a handy fold-down feature. It can provide tailor fit comfort for a range of rider sizes.
2. Lectric XP Trike, $1499: Lectic is best known for its quality e-bikes at affordable prices, and its new e-trike is the brand’s first release since 2019. It is definitely a model worth checking out with its 1092W peak rear hub motor, 14mph top speed with 5 levels of pedal-assist and throttle, and battery good for 50+ miles on a charge.
3. Schwinn Meridian, $647: This brand is pretty iconic, and offers good quality for a decent price. The Meridian, a non-electric model, has plenty of options including 24- or 26-inch wheels as well as single, three or seven speeds. We love the basket positioned behind the rider, wide handlebars and comfortable upright riding position.
4. Trailmate Desoto Classic 26, $659: This Florida-based company specializes in building quality tricycles for adults and the Desoto is their landmark model that offers a comfortable ride, responsive performance and terrific value. It offers plenty of options including a rear basket, adjustable seat back and more.
5. Sixthreezero EVRYjourney Tricycle, $2,199: This sturdy electric trike boasts a The 250-watt battery will take you 18 to 40 miles in full-electric mode and 20 to 60 miles in pedal-assist mode. It fits riders up to 6’2″. We love the large carrying basket at the rear and the vibrant color options. Sixthreezero has a solid reputation.
6. Watt Wheels Trike City LS, $4,199: This is the bling trike that changed Tiffany Robinson’s life. It features a low step-through frame, Nexus internal gear hub, a mount for a second battery, thumb throttle, and up to 60km on a battery charge.
Types of Adult Trikes and How to Choose the Right One
There are various types of adult trikes available on the market, each with their own unique features, advantages, and disadvantages. Depending on your needs, you can choose from traditional trikes that have three wheels for stability or folding trikes that are ideal for storage when not in use. Other types of adult tricycles include recumbent trikes with a more comfortable seating position that is perfect for riders who experience back pain while riding. But what’s really getting people excited is the e-trike. When choosing the right type of adult tricycle for your needs, it is important to carefully consider factors such as size and weight capacity, maneuverability and cargo capacity.
This past year, there have been some major introductions into the e-trike market including a new model from Rad Power Bikes that is just starting shipping this month. The new RadTrike is already the brand’s single most requested model.
“To some, two wheels is daunting and prohibitive,” said Sarah Bruce Courtney, Senior Product Manager, Rad Power Bikes. “That’s why we created RadTrike. It was engineered specifically for comfort and stability but designed for fun and adventure. It was thoughtfully crafted so those who simply haven’t ridden a bike in a while, struggle with balance, or face mobility challenges can ride Rad with friends and family. Now, these individuals can ride to the grocery store, cruise around their neighborhood, or pursue new outdoor activities.”
Benefits of Owning an Adult Trike
Owning a trike can provide numerous benefits, such as improved health and fitness, increased mobility, and even environmental sustainability. Additionally, adult tricycles offer an enjoyable way to explore the outdoors while still being able to transport goods or people with ease. With their growing popularity, there are now more styles and designs available than ever before so you can find the perfect adult tricycle that suits your needs.
Robinson says, she finds that people who are driving give you space on the road because you’re commanding space.
“They don’t quite know what they’re looking for so they just give enough room so that they don’t scratch their car. Because it’s an e-trike, I’m also keeping up to speed with most traffic on local roads at 30 kmh,” she adds. “I find that seeing me gives others hope—either for themselves or their loved ones. So many people stop to comment, ask questions around where I bought it so that they could look into it for their friend or parents.”
She adds that her trike has had a profoundly positive impact on her life, and she highly recommends it to others.
“If you just want to get out there and ride, this is the bike for you!” she says. “You can go out and ride with friends and it’s great for commuting and/or leisure trips. Customize it to make it more fun. I’ve got lights around my front and back baskets. I also carry a portable speaker to spread the joy when riding along cycleways.”
#Introduction #adult #trike #talking